There is a misconception floating around that Health Coaches are only for people who are wanting to achieve weight-loss. While I work with many people who are looking to lose weight, health is so much more than fat-muscle ratios or BMIs. In fact, our relationship with food is about much more than that as well. Whether you are thick or thin, curvy or not, there are parts of our emotion-packed lives that we connect to food subconsciously. Have you ever eaten junk food out of stress? Have you ever lost your appetite when you’re sad? Have you ever rewarded yourself with sweets after a good or bad day? Have you ever withheld foods you love because you were “bad” that day or last week? If you answered yes, looking closer at your relationship to food may be valuable.
I encourage my clients who are exploring their relationship with food to shift their mindsets. Body-love is one of my deepest passions. I love to appreciate every little thing my body does for me. Really, the body is extraordinary. It completes millions of functions each second all without you ever having to think about it. Each day it strives to keep you alive and functioning. It endeavors to protect you from harm. It works to eliminate toxins, to move muscle, to see clearly, to breathe steadily, to process and collect nutrients. It’s amazing!
Here are the paradigms that I’ve decided to live by. These are the same paradigms that I encourage my clients to test as we begin our work around food relationships:
- There are as many “right” diets as there are people on the planet.
- What’s healthy for one person might not be healthy for YOU.
- Your body is the most powerful, least expensive and BEST dietary experimentation lab in existence. Why? Because the body has an innate wisdom beyond any book or authority. No matter which phase of life you are in, your body is the ultimate dietary authority.
- Diets are not useful as dogma; however, they are useful as references.
- Your diet changes as you change.
- Your RELATIONSHIP with food and your body impacts your health more powerfully than the food you eat.
- Every symptom, craving, or behavior around food has a POSITIVE INTENTION; therefore, symptoms, cravings, or behaviors are not the problem, they are the best SOLUTION you have come up with so far.
- Nourishment is about much more than just food.
(all paradigms are provided by the Health Coach Institute)
Each of these models generally involve a very specific shift in perception. I won’t say that it’s easy, but I will say that implementing these paradigms has been beneficial in my own life and in the lives of my clients. I encourage you to explore them. If you’re ready to dive deeper, let schedule a Discovery Session!
© 2018 Health and Life Coach with Erin// All Rights Reserved